Sunday, September 24, 2006
The inaugural “We Do Chew Our Food” pie review
Melbourne, the home of We Do Chew Our Food, is paradoxically the epicentre of both the best Australian cuisine and Football. When you put the two together they spell one word – PIE. The meat pie with tomato sauce (ketchup) is perhaps the most iconic Australian dish and almost mandatory to eat at any major sporting event. It even has it’s own Wikipedia entry. Thankfully for the vegetarians amongst us – there’s a lot more to pies these days than that first “Four‘nTwenty”.
In honour of the footie Grand Final next Saturday (30th September) and after the success of the recent great sausage roll review, we are now throwing the challenge open to the wider food loving community to send us a pie review from their own town. This savoury morsel can be bought or homemade, meat or vegetarian, gluten-free or caeliac-unfriendly, traditional or contemporary.
Guidelines for the review:
1. If the pie is bought – supply the address, price and description of the pie.
2. If homemade – include the recipe.
3. Taste the pie before you slather it with sauce/ketchup/chutney (sacrilege for some I know!). Is the pastry flaky, how generous is the filling, does the description of the contents equate with what you find in it?
4. Rate the pie from 1 to 5: (1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest).
5. You are welcome to send a picture, but you don’t have to.
6. Send your review to email@example.com by midnight, Sunday 1st October (note: for those in the northern hemisphere, that means midday Sunday for most of you).
7. Have fun!
The full review will be posted on We Do Chew Our Food the next day.