Monday, January 16, 2006

Binh Minh – Richmond - Chinese/Malaysian/Thai

Restaurant – Binh Minh
Address – 40 Victoria St, Richmond
Telephone - 03 9421 3802
Price for two – About $40 for two (includes entrée and mains) BYO
My perennial favorite for a mid-week non-cooking evening meal – if you get there about 5pm the place is deserted save for the mother of the owner who can be seen babysitting her grand-daughter at one of the close-to-kitchen tables. If you get there at 6.30pm you’ll need to shout because it’s positively deafening in the place, people talking, dishes clattering and glasses toasting in cheerful clinks.
On the table you’ll find metal cutlery, chop-sticks, plastic soup spoons, paper napkins, the ever-present, always useful soy sauce and a truly alarming bottle of crushed chilies. One of the friendly waiters will come over and set a small bowl and a saucer in front of you – along with the menu. The lunch menu is included – and the kitchen is generally happy to make you whatever you want from the lunch menu, at dinner prices – but when you see the dinner items, you wouldn’t want lunch.
I have to recommend the chau-dum (steamed parcels of mince meat and vermicelli noodles wrapped in spinach leaves) which comes with chili soy and crisp lettuce leaves as an entrée for two to share. In winter I can’t go past a bowl of the delicious won-ton soup with the tenderest slippery dumplings swimming in clear, clean flavored chicken broth. For mains I have a few favorites – beef rendang (with a crunchy roti), Char Quay Teow ( oodles of noodles with fresh bean shoots, prawns, barbeque pork and chicken) and the Chili Lemongrass Combination.
There are always at least six ‘specials’ on the two blackboards skewered to the walls – I’ve tried a few things from that list and have always been delightfully impressed. If you don’t know what to order from the sheer number of possibilities, then ask your waiter – he’ll recommend something for you.
There is a pretty decent bottleshop across the road, venture over and pick up some beer or even a bottle – it’s worth it. Enjoy.

19 comments:

Chai said...

E' eccelente, Mel. I was about to do a post and am now quite intimidated. It's not a competition, right? I better do a spell check first then.

Mel said...

oh please - you know your posts are quite the envied ones -
no competition - and no spell check necessary. thanks tho...

Melba said...

the mention of slippery dumplings has got me hungry for some won ton soup, but it's only 9.13am

well done

Husky Nutmeg said...

Mel, it's only 9.15am and I'm ready to skip the lunch menu and plunge into an evening meal after reading that.

Mel said...

You guys are really too kind - i'm basking in the glow of your hunger really - :)
And dammit if I don't want a bowl of soup now - what's wrong with us
? Oh right... foodies... :)

sublime-ation said...

Well done Mel!

elaine said...

this had made me want to eat dumplings.

Mel said...

I agree on the vego inclusion - in this case quite a decent selection of vegetarian options available. I adore the bean-curd dishes as well as anything with eggplant, they are just magic with the old eggplant. mmmm...

Chai said...

Mel, u can always add to the post, if u like. It is a dynamic document.

My plan was that if I ever went to this place, I'd add my review to the bottom of yours.

We can do anything we like. We're the administrators!

Fluffy said...

I'd like to make a new title for me, maybe "administratrix" or "doministrator".

Have you ever had the salt squid at Binh Minh? To die for. It's a lond=g time since I've been there - must get back. SOON.

Fluffy said...

lond=g is retarded for "long".

Mel said...

The salt and pepper squid is sublime - I love the chili, onion and salt mix on top - and the squid, mmmm, flash fried so it's ultra tender - mouthwatering. Now I want squid. Dammit - :)

Anonymous said...

Could the panel please suggest a good sushi train for me to ride on in Melbourne.

There's something supremely satisfying about sitting down and watching sushi pass you by.

I have done the one in Swanston Walk to death, and I don't know of any others?

Mel said...

Adrian, Tamagotchi's at Melbourne Central (I think level 4 or 5) is pretty cool - I go there all the time - Review coming soon.

Pomgirl said...

Cake/Dessert reviews would be greatly appreciated...

Husky Nutmeg said...

pomgirl, I'm more than happy to sacrifice my waistline to oblige.

Pomgirl said...

Cheers Husky, that's the kind of dedication to the cause that keeps me returning to this blog...

Anonymous said...

binn minh i agree would have to be one of the best in vic st yet!

Mel said...

Binh Minh Rocks - just wonderful food!